There are a growing number of agroforestry systems being implemented by farmers across the Wheatbelt for production benefits ranging from timber & energy production to forage for sheep production. These systems have the potential of returning perennial vegetation to a significant portion of the Wheatbelt.
What We Do
Wheatbelt NRM's Sustainable Industries Program assists farmers to maintain a productive and environmentally sustainable agricultural industry.
Wheatbelt NRM's Sustainable Industries Program aims to increase the adoption of farming practices that improve our natural resources, including biodiversity, soil health and water quality while also contributing to production outcomes for our farmers. Our program will achieve this by:
- Supporting innovative, sustainable cropping management on Wheatbelt farms
- Promoting grazing management practices that are sustainable
- Integrating trees into agricultural systems for biodiversity, water and soil outcomes
- Promotion of agroforestry trials that deliver biodiversity benefits and the benefits of its integration into traditional farming practices Increasing adoption of direct soil nutrient management practices that have environmental benefits
- Building and supporting knowledge sharing that enhances sustainable agriculture
- Identification and development of technological innovation for advancing NRM Wheatbelt NRM strives to support the practical decision making process of farmers in choosing whether or not to adopt a recommended management practice
- Assist Landcare, Grower and Community groups to build networks, knowledge, capacity and skills for on ground NRM activities
- Promotion and delivery of carbon farming awareness raising activities and development of demonstration sites
- Deliver community capacity building activities with a sustainable agricultural focus
Our aim is to build strong relationships with our community over years, not months, in order to have regional natural resource management objectives considered in the complex farm practice decisions that they make every day.
If you have new ideas for activities on your lands we are always looking for community input into our Programs, please give the Wheatbelt NRM Sustainable Industries Project Managers a call to discuss the ideas with them, or submit the idea through our website at:
What’s happening in the Avon Wheatbelt Region and beyond?
Visit the AGTRIALSITES website at www.agtrialsites.com, which showcases trials across Western Australia and aims to encourage collaboration and knowledge sharing throughout the WA NRM community. The website features trial and demonstration sites covering a range of industries including viticulture, horticulture, intensive grazing, broadacre cropping / grazing, agroforestry and pastoral grazing. Topics vary from sandalwood to saltbush, compost to lime, dung beetle to blue gums – all with production and environmental benefits. Trial and Demonstration Sites will continue to be updated over time.
Please visit the site and provide feedback and comments via the "Post Reply" box
Wheatbelt NRM Projects Include: